The Importance of Play: Ireland Edition



Being static is never good for your physical health, or your mental health. Though it’s important to stay active in our daily lives, there are no exceptions to this rules when you travel either. You’ve got to move (and not just in a plane, bus, car or other kind of mechanized vehicle). Your body will be your best mode of transportation when it comes to getting the most out of any activity, getting the best view, and getting the ultimate enriching experience. Your legs will get you places no off-roading wheels will be able to go. I quickly realized this after being the sole driver during our Ireland trip. Don’t get me wrong, I loved being able to drive in another country, and the sights we saw were amazing, but some of my favourite moments were when we stopped on the side of the road, and I was allowed to go explore.

Climbing the Cahergall Stone Fort in Ireland

The famous line I grew to use more often throughout the trip was: “Can I go play?” Of course I was referring to being able to roam, and search, and stretch my legs; but it also meant that I got to climb, and run, and explore places that weren’t always accessible, or evident. It’s one thing to see amazing sights, but it’s a whole other experience to be able to go up close to them, and feel the history surrounding you. It’s one thing to drive past a mountain, but it’s another to walk up to its base and tilt your head so far back you almost fall backwards. It’s one thing to see the ruins of a castle and read the plaques that narrate its history, but it’s another to climb inside, touch the walls and climb the smoothed steps that have carried generations of people. Not only that, but with all of the trails, castles, historic sites and parks, it’s almost impossible not to have an excuse to roam about and have some fun!

Megalithic Sacrifice 101? 

“Playing” is simply a more interactive way of traveling. It’s getting up close and personal with a place you’re unfamiliar with (while still being safe about it). Of course it’s always important to be cautious when exploring ruins, or taking the adventure trails on hike (I refuse to die because I did something stupid), but taking calculated risks can be quite beneficial. The adrenaline rush restarts your system and opens your eyes to a new way of seeing. Set your inner child free! Be silly, be wild but be respectful! Instead of casually strutting through a field, run through it! Roll down the hill, jump in the puddle, wade your way through the river, climb the tree. Look for places others might not see and find out how to get there. The importance of play helps you alleviate stress, makes your more carefree and just honestly makes you enjoy your trip that much more. When you let yourself authentically be you, and enjoy it, the things you will discover about a place are amazingly refreshing.

Reenactment of the first Indiana Jones movie in Myvatn, Iceland. Yes, Gen is playing the role of the boulder.

So take the time to play around, take a break and don’t you dare doubt yourself because people might look at you funny for a moment. Soon enough, they’ll realize just how fun and freeing playing is, and will give it a try for themselves. Look for any and all new opportunities when traveling to new and familiar places. And don’t ever forget to ask yourself, “where can I go play today?”


Kyla


Playing in a park in Carlingford


Comments


Popular Posts